Monday 24 November 2014

Review ~ BEND DONT BREAK, by Skye Callahan


Title: Bend Don't Break

Author: Skye Callahan

Genre: Dark Erotic Romance


Available: November 18, 2014




I thought I was done.

my End

I couldn’t take my eyes off her as the bullet tore through me, leaving me with nothing but the hope that I had done enough to save her. The darkness tried to engulf me—to brand me as its own and drag me to my fate.

my Darkness

Waking to see her tear-stained face above me was enough to make my heart stutter. I was alive and free from that place—but not from the toll it had taken on my mind and body.

my Strength

My story should have ended, but one woman kept standing in the way of that. The only way I could have her was to find a way to put the darkness to rest.



Purchase Links

Amazon US | Amazon UK | B&N | Kobo | iTunes | Amazon AU | Amazon CA



***Copy generously provided in return for an honest review***

~Please read IRREVOCABLE before reading BEND DON'T BREAK~

'My story should have ended, but one woman kept standing in the way of that. The only way I could have her was to find a way to put the darkness to rest'

I was ecstatic to find out that there was to be another story  to follow IRREVOCABLE, I was even further excited by the fact that this book was to be from James' aka 'kirks' POV.
This instalment takes off straight from the end of IRREVOCABLE, and focuses on the whys and how James found himself infiltrating a sex trafficking/slavery retreat. where he climbed the proverbial ladder of rank for a year, becoming a pinnacle member of the group.

Despite this story coming from an entirely different POV, you do however need to quickly understand that this one is an entirely different take on what truly happened inside those retreat walls.
I did struggle at first with separating James from Kirk, as you do tend to tar him with what he did to Rose in book one. I found it difficult to understand how their relationship could work outside of the walls, after he'd beaten her, raped her and demoralised her in lots of different ways. Yet, you are supposed to think 'but, it wasn't really him doing those things'.

Learning more about James, you come to realise how deeply damaged he has become during his time there. You start to understand that in order for him to do what he did, he lost a lot of himself a long the way, and you see the inner turmoil he goes through to try to separate himself from the monster he'd become. 

There were numerous times throughout the story where I thought that 'this is never going to work', but once all those loose ends start to get tied up, you come to see that James and Rose truly love each other. You see that going through such an emotionally scarring time together has only proven to make them stronger. But, most importantly that James is NOT Kirk.

BEND DONT BREAK is beautifully written. It's very emotional and answers so many of those unanswered questions from IRREVOCABLE. It's not all sunshine and fairy tails, and is dark at times. But, it's not one to be missed.

4 FULL STARS ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️



No comments:

Post a Comment